The Happy Pear have kindly shared their favourite recipe for burgers exclusively for Savvi members. This recipe is straight from the pages of their latest cookbook ‘Recipes for Happiness’ on sale now in all good bookshops. Thank you Happy Pear for keeping our members super
Makes 3 "Burgers"
- 15 mins
- 1 x 400g tin of kidney/black beans
- 1 red onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 150g oyster mushrooms (or any
- other mushrooms)
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons tamari/soy sauce
- 100g breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- To serve
- hummus/vegan mayo
- sweet chilli ketchup/pesto
- a couple of slices of vegan cheese
- lettuce leaves, tomato slices
- red onion slices, ripe avocado slice
1. Drain and rinse the beans. Peel and finely chop the onion and garlic. Chop the mushrooms very finely.
2. Put 2 tablespoons of oil into a frying pan on a high heat. Once hot, add the onion and garlic and cook for 1–2 minutes, stirring regularly. Add the mushrooms and cook for a further minute. Now add the tamari, and fry for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
3. Put the breadcrumbs, beans and nutritional yeast into a bowl and mix well. Add the mushroom mixture to the same bowl and mix. Leave to cool for a minute, then use your hands or a wooden spoon to mash and mix everything together. Shape this mixture into 3 burger-shaped patties, making sure to really compress them so as to remove as much moisture as possible.
4. The patties are now ready to cook. We usually fry them in the pan in the remaining tablespoon of oil for 2 minutes on each side, until they go golden. You can also bake them in the oven at 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4 for 10 minutes, or throw them on the barbecue.
5. Serve in toasted burger buns with hummus/mayo on the bottom of the bun, sweet chilli ketchup/pesto on the top and any of the other topping options you fancy.